Mon, 16 May 2016 ~ Porto, Portugal
We have enjoyed four days of R&R in a small apartment that we rented through Airbnb. This allowed us a chance to get caught up on some rest, sort through hundreds of photos, write like crazy to bring our blog posts current, wash several loads of laundry, repack and simply enjoy walking the beautiful city of Porto with no particular agenda.
The apartment has been a blessing. Sometimes it is really nice to have a little more space, and a kitchen where you can fix breakfast, a snack or a simple meal. We quickly got to know our neighborhood, located a pharmacy, grocery store, several bakeries, some good restaurants, learned a bit about the local metro, and tried to memorize a couple of words of Portuguese. I hope this link will work properly as I would love to recommend this apartment to anyone coming to Porto.
- The location of the apartment is superb! Easy walking distance to many of the highlights of Porto.
- In the same building is THE BEST tapas bar, Rua Tapas & Music Bar, that we have ever eaten at! It is currently rated #18 out of 1216 restaurants in Porto! Many of you know that Tim often has a challenge finding meals without any artificial ingredients. Well, we can vouch for the fact that everything we had was fresh and oh so delicious. One of the owners, Pedro, personally selected three items for us, and I can rate each of them a 10 out of 10.
I will make mention that if you are sensitive to street noises, the apartment may not be the ideal place for you as the street is hopping and lively until the wee hours of the morning. We don’t mind that however as it just adds to the atmosphere for us.
And literally right around the corner from the apartment is this major walking and shopping street:
But now it is time to meet up with our next tour group, so we left our sweet apartment to transfer to the Crown Plaza Hotel.
Another first for us today was taking Uber! Tim signed us up before we left home. It evidently takes a few minutes to connect everything, but once set up, it was quite easy to use. The fare is predetermined, so no worrying about a meter or being taken advantage of. I love that!
The fare was much less than a taxi would have been, the car we rode in was spotless, the young man was dressed in a clean white shirt and slacks and payment can be billed either to your credit card (whichever one you sign up with) or can come directly out of your Paypal account. No money needed to change hands.
In case you too have not used Uber, and are wanting to give them a try, you can use this code: timj832 to receive a FREE ride for a value up to $20. Try it!
Full disclosure: We will get a free ride as well, so I will thank you in advance 🙂
Up next – 10 Day Classic Portugal tour with Gate 1
The advertised highlights on this land tour include:
- Visit the Stock Exchange, renowned for its exquisite façade and ornate gilded Arabian Hall in Porto
- Enjoy a Port Wine Tasting in Porto
- View the Coimbra University Library, a National Monument in Coimbra
- Visit the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary in Fatima one of the most important Catholic shrines in the world
- Tour the Convent of Christ in Tomar, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Stop and view the unique Ossuary Chapel in Evora
- Visit the Jeronimos Monastery built in the late Gothic Manueline style in Lisbon
- Enter the Church and Monastery of Santa Maria, the first Gothic buildings in Portugal in Allocable
And our new accommodations in Porto at the Crown Plaza Hotel:
Overnight: Lisbon – Crown Plaza Porto
GRATITUDE MOMENT: Today I am grateful for the time we had here in the apartment to once again get our bearings. We have found it immensely important to schedule in down time between the sometimes hectic pace of organized tours. As much as we appreciate all that gets squeezed into each program, maximizing the best use of our time, somedays it feels GREAT to simply just “be”.