About

Hello and welcome! We are Tim and Joanne Joseph, and we are delighted to have you here. We are a little old-fashioned, madly in love, have a deep appreciation for natural beauty, a thirst for learning, and a joyful zest for life.

In 2013, we sold our home and gave away, sold, donated, threw away or stored the rest of our “things”.   Our plan is to see as much of this big beautiful world as we can, for as long as we can, taking pictures along the way and sharing our experiences with anyone that wants to follow along.

JMJ_5963

Tim and Joanne

2014 came and went in a flash.  January was a finalizing period where Tim prepared our son to take over our company and wrapped up some loose ends. February was a fabulous trip to Turkey with my sister and brother-in-law.

From March through October we immersed ourselves in an exhausting, exhilarating, madcap trip around the world that included visits to 29 countries and culminated in a 30 day cross-country (USA) road trip.

After a short stay at our small cabin in the San Bernardino mountains, we headed to Guatemala for almost three weeks, and then back “home” for the holidays. When the dust settled, we realized that during 2014 we managed to explore a total of 31 different countries.

So how would we top that in 2015?  Well we didn’t, but still had an amazing year!

We learned a few things about ourselves and traveling that we know influenced some of the choices we made last year.

1. Sometimes seeing/doing more things/places does not equal more value
  2. When you try to do too much, everything runs together
  3. We are not (quite) as young as the mental image we hold in our heads
  4. Travel is not only exhilarating, it can also be exhausting
  5. Staying in one place longer allowed us a better/deeper experience
  6. There are a LOT of beautiful places right in our own backyard (in the USA and Canada that is) that we want to see

So we took things a little slower – kind of anyway…

We started out 2015 with a month-long trip (mid January to mid February) to Africa where we visited South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana. We also managed a Gate 1 trip to Amsterdam, Belgium and Paris that was followed by a fantastic Uniworld cruise through both northern and southern France.

A personal highlight was spending time with my sister and brother-in-law chartering a motor boat and cruising through the San Juan Islands and into Canada.

You can click on this link to see a recap of our 2015 travels.

2016 took us to five different continents!

NORTH AMERICA – Hawaii and Mexico

SOUTHEAST ASIA – Singapore, Cambodia and Vietnam

AFRICA – Morocco

EUROPE – Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Luxembourg, France, the Netherlands

SOUTH AMERICA – Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands

Click here for a recap of 2016 travels.

Our travel plans for 2017 were a little calmer and closer to home. Near the end 2016 we purchased a small 25 foot RV that we named “Ellie Mae Camp-it”, so road tripping was the main plans for that year. From June through mid September hit as many of the Western USA and Canadian National Parks and National Monuments as we could. Here is a link to some of our National Park stops.

There was still be some International travels as well with a trip to Mexico to visit the Copper Canyon, a trip to New York City followed with a Princess Cruise in October to see New England and Eastern Canada for fall foliage. The year ended with a return to South America over the Christmas holidays to explore Chile, the Falkland Islands, Uruguay, and Argentina.

2018 was brought in on board our Princess Cruise which terminated in Buenos Aires. From there we continued on with an Intrepid tour that included the wetlands of Argentina, Iguazu Falls and Rio de Janeiro.

We managed to take some pretty awesome RV road trips to fill out the year, including spending some time in Southern Oregon, a loop through Colorado, and our most recent exploration of Idaho and western Montana.

I hope you will follow along with us to see where we end up next!

Tim and Joanne

256 Responses to About

1. Just reading about all your 2014 adventures wore me out! Loved reading about your African trip. Looking forward to posts about your National Parks tour. My husband and I love road trips through the states – there is so much to see here in the US and all the Parks are so different and beautiful.

2. 2orangebags says:

Thanks for stopping by our blog. We are impressed by your extensive travels and the energy you have! We have taken up long-distance trekking and have enjoyed blogging about our two treks. Like you, we are taking some time in the U.S. now. Then, another trek will come. All the best, Reg and Sue, carryoncouple.com

Liked by 1 person

• We have several things in common besides traveling! I grew up in Medford and lived a short time in Ashland, which I dearly love. I’ve talked about walking the Camino, saw the movies, and it is still on the “maybe” list. I’m going to enjoy reading your blog posts about your Camino experience. Maybe that will get me out the door! Oh, carry on luggage for us as well…

• 2orangebags says:

It is indeed a small world. We can’t say enough about the Camino experience. We still miss it. Look us up when you are in southern Oregon!

• I read the first half of your Camino track last night and plan on finishing today. It sounds amazing – except for the blisters. We may be in So. Oregon the end of this month or in May. If so I’ll give you a shout.

• 2orangebags says:

Glad you like the Camino posts…the blisters are worth it. Please do let us know about a possible southern Oregon visit…we would love to get together.

• Will do! It would be wonderful to meet up with some like minded travelers and also hear more about your Camino adventure.

3. leggypeggy says:

Thanks so much for the like on my travel blog. I’ll enjoy checking out your experiences.

4. ohiocook says:

Thank you for stopping by my blog.

5. That’s what I’m doing right now travelling around the world with a total of 79 and not tired yet.south Africa for your next trip, I don’t know wether to discourage you or encourage.three years ago , I was in Joanhburg , shooting pictures in the city center crowded with a lot people, when somebody jump on my back with taser gun and I was pass out and took all my belonging . My Nikond90,tablet,phone and money.when I woke up in the middle of the sidewalk , I can see people walking staring on me but not even one people help me and asked me why I’m lying on the sidewalk .after that I asked where is the police station and it’s only two block away.. Good luck and be very careful.

Liked by 1 person

• Hello Ledgardo, I’m so sorry to read about your aweful experience while in South Africa. Thankfully, we are now safely back home in Southern California after an amazing trip to Africa. Although Johannesburg was not a favorite stop on our trip, we especially loved seeing all of the animals while on safari. I hope you have a wonderful and safe time on the rest of your around-the-world journey.

6. Marty R. says:

Hi and thanks for liking my post on Santa Faz. I love travel as I see you do too.

7. amommasview says:

What a great adventure!!!

8. Thank you for stopping by my blog. It is obvious that the two of you have fully embraced the travelers lifestyle. My husband and I are just beginning and we enjoy learning from those of you who are blazing the trail! We were in Cuba this past January and recommend it highly if you’ve never been there. Go before the thousands of Americans start arriving.

Im looking forward to reading more about your adventures!

9. David says:

I am enjoying your blog very much, but I have lots more to read!
    I have a question… The photo on your Gravatar, by any chance was that taken in Jaipur? I ask because the little mirror on the wall behind you might just be the very same mirror that my Gravatar photo was taken in. 🙂

10. 2ndhalfolife says:

Thanks for visiting my blog.

11. You both are doing the perfect thing – to enjoy and experience the world’s amazing wonders…. How I wish I could do that too but financially I am not capable of doing the adventures you all enjoyed. As cruise ship crew, I still able to visit many different places at least during my free time. So Tim and Joanne, enjoy the best of your travels!

Liked by 1 person

12. You’ve done the same as us only we don’t have a cabin in the mountains! We started in Sept 2011 and have been going strong ever since. We sometimes rent apartments (if we’re in a place for a week or more), and stay in hotels, and hostels if we can get a private room, and do a lot of house sitting when we’re back in our ‘home town’ of Vancouver. It’s still officially and emotionally home even if we have no home there. Like you we’ve learned to travel slowly. We spent several months in SE Asia and loved it, and we’re planning on heading to Turkey in the fall (if it remains politically stable!) so I look forward to reading your post about it. If not Turkey, like you, the options are endless . . . . . . .
    Thank you for the ‘like’ on our latest post. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Cheers, and happy travels
    Alison

Liked by 1 person

• Hello Allison and Don and welcome! It is always wonderful to connect with others that are living similar traveling lives. When we first put this plan in motion, we had a few dreams, a kind of wish list, a lot of faith and hope. We have been so fortunate that this life has not only met, but exceeded our wildest dreams.

Liked by 2 people

• Yes, it has exceeded our wildest dreams too. Lots of faith and gratitude, and a belief in miracles. We are continually amazed by how blessed we are. We are far from done. As soon as the bucket (list) empties it gets filled up again.
        Alison

13. Katelyn says:

After scrolling through just a few of your posts, I am so jealous and inspired by you guys! As someone who just recently got bit by the wanderlust bug, I hope to have even close to half the adventure guys have. I can’t wait to catch up on your blog and look forward to seeing posts from your future trips!! (PS. I noticed Ireland isn’t in your categories section (though I can’t be sure you haven’t visited), and if you find yourselves planning a journey there in the next year, I’ll be living in Galway and would be honored to show you around/make suggestions on where to visit/buy you a pint/hear first hand of your awesome life!)

14. alex says:

This blog of yours is purely excellence! Is there any place on Earth you haven’t been to?

Liked by 1 person

15. Thanks Tim & Joanne for liking my article. I hope you enjoy France, my home country. If you need tips from a native and a parisian expert, do not hesitate to ask. 🙂

16. Thanks for stopping by our blog! I can’t wait to read about your past adventures and follow along with the new ones! Happy travels 🙂

17. brightexpats says:

Dear Tim and Joanne,

What an amazing life! I’m Elena Tamarit, journalist and intern in Bright Expats (http://www.brightexpats.com/). We are launching our new blog’s section about expat’s lifes around the world. I would be delighted to interview you for an special article about your blog and globetrotter life. What do you think?

Thanks so much for your time and I wish you a great travel to California,

Elena

18. claidig says:

This is like a gigantic postcard!

And a bit belated, but thank you for stopping by 🙂

19. emfletche says:

Hi Tim and Joanne…thanks for the like! I would love one day to do what you’ve done and become a full-time traveller! I’m looking forward to reading more… a Pacific Northwest road trip is on our list for the next couple of years so I look forward to hearing all about your trip! Happy travels 😁🌎

Emmalene

• Traveling is the best gift we have given ourselves. The more we see, the more people we meet, the more ideas we get for future travels. The Pacific NW is beautiful country. Looking forward to sharing special moments and hidden treasures with you!

Liked by 1 person

20. Hi, Joanne & Tim, it’s nice to meet you and read your blog! My husband and I love to travel, as well! I’m looking forward to following you in your travels!:)
    Check out my blog: ShellieWoods

21. Absolutely love your blog for so many reasons. Your energy to do your travelling is amazing and your photos so very lovely. And I love the Mark Twain quote, what a great reminder and I am so glad you stopped by my blog, coming back to visit yours is an exhilarating visit 🙂

22. Arlene says:

Thank you for liking my post”Bumble Bee in a Sunflower” at OUR RETIRED LIFE.
    It looks like you did what my husband and I did. Retired early so that you could enjoy doing things before your body was too wore out to do them. Enjoy every minute of it. 🙂
    Arlene

Liked by 1 person

23. My heroes! I want to live like this too, just need to convince my recently retired Hubby! 😉 Looking forward to reading more of your adventurous experiences! Travel On & Enjoy!! 🙂

24. leannenz says:

Looking forward to sharing your travels! Mark Twain it seems was quite passionate about travel too. We both have his one of his quotes as a tag line.

25. aFrankAngle says:

Cheers to those who love travel!

26. I enjoy reading about your adventures – thank you for sharing. I am more restricted because J continues to work parttime, but we fit in small-scale travelling, staying in one place and then exploring in depth, a kind of slow travel. In 2016 we will be in South Africa, Portugal, and Brittany, but also exploring the River Thames. Good Luck to you and I look forward to following your travels.

• Candy, we too will get to Portugal this year. And yes, being retired certainly makes it easier to plan more trips. I hope you enjoy South Africa as much as we did. Going on tours through the animal reserves such as Kruger NP were the highlights for me.

27. Kristy Rhine says:

Thanks for the 🙂 on my blog! I appreciate you checking it out. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and your travel adventures. What a great way to spend time with the person you love! I admire you selling your things and setting out to do what was a passion of yours. I look forward to seeing what you do in 2016. I am hoping I can at least get a couple of trips in this year and see some of the world myself!

28. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy travels.

29. wordygertie1 says:

Thanks for the “like” on WordyGertie.com “Did We Really Just Move To China.” I enjoyed looking at the photos and reading about your amazing adventures–my husband and I dream of doing this exact thing when we retire! I also agree we have so many gems in our own backyard, I’m a huge lover of our national parks. Best to you!

30. SirOzzy says:

Wow. You guys are Rock Stars! So glad I came across your page. Happy Travels, Enjoy The Journey..

31. Thanks for checking my recent post out! You do great work yourself!!

32. the urbanist says:

Greetings to the beautiful couple! Thank you for being my first like. I’m new here and appreciate you spreading the warmth. Cheers & safe travels! 🙂

33. tokyolocalsites says:

Thanks for dropping by. I am enjoying going through your wonderful & informative blog

34. Just. WOW! What a great blog! We want to BE you! We’re just getting started on the wandering portion of the Encore Voyage. I aspire to visit many of the same places. I am inspired by your blog. I’ll be back. A Lot!

35. How fun to find another couple (and our numbers are growing) of boomers who have decided that life is too short to wait to follow our dreams! I was nodding my head as I read your story because our stories are similar and there’s a whole ‘nother world out there waiting for people like us to explore it! And someday, maybe our paths will cross. Drop a note if and when you reach the Algarve Region in Portugal and we’ll see you then! Anita

• We will be in Portugal next month, but sadly all our stops are north of you. We have: 3 nights Porto
      1 night Tomar
      1 night Evora
      3 nights Lisbon
      And yes, we are meeting more and more boomers on the road. Hope our paths will cross one of these days. JJ

36. As a fellow traveler, I found myself saying ‘yes, yes, yes’ to your lessons learned in 2015. Especially

1) Travel is not only exhilarating, it can also be exhausting
    2) Staying in one place longer allowed us a better/deeper experience
    3) There are a LOT of beautiful places right in our own backyard (in the USA and Canada that is) that we want to see

Looking forward to following your adventures

37. J Walters says:

I just wanted to say a special thank you for your interesting and informative blog posts about your trip on the SS Catherine, given that I just booked us on that trip and was searching for more detailed info to help me start planning. (Going Oct. 3) Really wonderful photos, too. Wow you lead an interesting life!

• Well, thank you very much! I have no doubt that you will LOVE the SS Catherine. She is a beautiful ship and the crew is superb. Expect to be spoiled from the moment you walk on board. Just FYI, we just yesterday returned home from our second Uniworld river cruise. This one on the Rhine and Moselle rivers. I am in the process of sorting through pictures and will be posting about that great trip very soon. Enjoy your Oct. 3rd cruise!

38. J Walters says:

Looking forward to your post. We’re doing the Grand France voyage that you and your husband did, and I can’t wait! We last traveled on Uniworld in 2008, through Eastern Europe (vienna to bucharest) and it was without question the best trip we’ve (still) ever taken.

Liked by 1 person

39. I’m pea green with envy…what a fantastic opportunity you all have. Love the photos and the excitement!
    Thanks for the read and like for my post Life Wr it in g.

40. JC says:

.Thanks for liking my post. You have a wonderful blog and what a great idea, selling everything and traveling… jc

41. M. L. Kappa says:

Hi Tim and Joanne! Thanks for dropping in. How cool you’re writing this together! If you decide to visit Greece and need some advice, do not hesitate to ask me. Pleased to meet you, Marina

42. I just noticed that you “liked” a post of mine and looking at your profile picture, I can see why. Whatever lovely thing you are standing in front of looks like what I was going for in my post
    except your backdrop is a true work of art. Where is that???
    Thanks so much for stopping by!

43. You have a great site and I will follow your journey. 🙂

44. jennymarie4 says:

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for liking a post. I love your story, and your adventures sound amazing! Looking forward to hearing more about them. It’s nice to connect with you, Jenny

45. niasunset says:

You are amazing team and couple! I loved your travel notes/stories and photographs. Thank you for sharing with us too, exactly it was a journey at my desk 🙂 Blessing and Happiness, Love, nia

46. It’s nice to meet you. Thanks for visiting my blog. Blessings!

47. lorigreer says:

I continued to be fascinated by your life…and a bit envious! Thanks for sharing!

• Hello Lori and welcome to our world. We are crazy fortunate to have this wonderful and adventurous life. Really appreciate you being a pert of it and hopefully we can inspire or encourage you to envision and then create your own amazing future!

48. Anabel Marsh says:

Thanks for visiting The Glasgow Gallivanter! I’ve enjoyed returning the visit and have been reading some of your Scottish posts. I see you discovered we get a lot of rain 😦 but glad you seem to have had a good time despite that.

• Annabel, it takes more than a bit of rain to derail our enjoyment, but I must admit to preferring sunshine. Scotland is beautiful, rugged, filled with strong, kind people and our visit gave me a taste of where my fractional Scottish heritage originated.

Liked by 1 person

49. How wonderful that you have the economic reserves to retire early and live your dream with one another (great photo of the two of you on this page – I can see the love).

Since I am one who spent the majority of my adult life solo and in service to others, I will no doubt be working still when you hang up your hiking boots. I shall have to content myself with exploring online through traveling blogs like yours, despite my own wanderlust — so thanks for sharing.
    xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMore dot com)
    – ADD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder –
    “It takes a village to educate a world!”

50. Elizabeth says:

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I’ve read only your “About” so far but I’m really going to enjoy traveling vicariously through the two of you! Thank you for sharing your experiences here.