January 29th, 2019 – Temecula, CA
Karen found a great deal on Travelzoo for a lunch special at the winery. Check it out here. We got it for $35/couple, but today it shows $39/couple (regularly $75/couple).
Since we were camping about a half hour south of there, we thought that dining in their Cave Restaurant would make for a great lunch option.
- $39 for lunch for two people (reg. $75)
- One appetizer or shareable (up to $15) to share
- Any two entrees (up to $20 each)
- Two glasses of wine or beer (up to $10 each)
- $75 for lunch for four people (reg. $150)
If you wanted something that exceeded the price limit (which we did) you simply pay the difference.
Just FYI, they offer a Senior Menu as well with several offering at $10 each that sounded very good.
They also offer a wine tasting for $15.
The winery itself is located on the side of a hill. The surrounding area, with layers of vineyards, makes for a beautiful setting.
The regular menu without using a “coupon” special was a little on the pricey side for lunch, with offerings ranging from $13.95 to $26.95.
For our appetizer we chose the GRILLED CHICKEN FLATBREAD Roasted artichokes, slow cooked tomatoes, pesto sauce ($16) and the Theil’s selected CHIMICHURRI STEAK FRIES Seasoned fries, grilled tri-tip, house made chimichurri, queso fresco & micro cilantro ($14.95).
Honestly the appetizers alone were enough for a meal.
But did we stop there???
No way…After all, the special included full meals, LOL.
Sooooo, Karen and I both ordered the RED WINE BRAISED SHORT RIB cheesy grits, roasted asparagus, fig & kale ($26.95), Tim selected SEARED SALMON Winter kale, wild mushroom, asparagus & sprouted grain risotto ($24.95) and Dick chose a CAVE CLASSIC BURGER 8oz Bison patty, lettuce, tomato aged white cheddar, cabernet braised onions, bacon, red pepper aioli on Bavarian pretzel bun ($18. 95).
With the exception of Dick’s burger, which was deemed too large to eat easily, the rest of us raved about our meals. Tim thought his salmon was some of the best he had ever eaten.
I saw that Groupon is also offering a special for wine tasting. You can click here to see.
What we liked about this deal:
- The Cave Restaurant really is inside a cave, located 75 feet underground
- It is cool inside on a hot day
- The food was beautifully presented and tasted as though a master chef had prepared it
- The staff was professional and helpful in both meal and wine selections
- If you are hungry, you get a LOT of food for the money
A bit more about the place:
- They give tours of the winery
- Weddings and special events can be arranged
- They have a wine club
- There is a small gift shop area which sells honey, oils and vinegars
- They are famous for raspberry and strawberry champagnes and offer over 30 award-winning wines
- Live music every Sunday
- Reservations are recommended
- They are dog friendly
GRATITUDE MOMENT: Today I am grateful for a delicious meal, and not having to cook!
COMING NEXT: The story of Leigon, the big white dog.